What are anesthesia errors?
Anesthesia errors are mistakes involving the use of anesthesia. Common anesthesia errors include:
- Too much anesthesia
- Too little anesthesia
- Failing to provide the patient with proper instructions, such as not eating or drinking prior to surgery
- Harmful drug interactions with the anesthesia
- Administering anesthesia to an allergic patient
- Delayed anesthesia delivery
- Defective medical devices used during sedation
- Failure to properly monitor a patient
- Failure to properly administer oxygen during surgery
- Inadequate product labeling
What are common anesthesia error injuries?
Injuries caused anesthesia errors can cause permanent disability and even death. Anesthesia errors can cause:
- Brain injury
- Heart attack
- Birth defects
- Nerve damage
- Spinal cord injury
- Anesthesia awareness
What is anesthesia awareness?
Anesthesia awareness occurs when too little anesthesia is given or if there is delayed delivery of anesthesia. It is actually being conscious or aware during surgery, feeling pain, yet being unable to move or communicate.
Other than being painful, how does anesthesia awareness cause harm?
Anesthesia awareness is terrifying and can cause permanent psychological and emotional damage including:
- Sleep disorders
- Panic and anxiety disorders
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Extreme fear of doctors and medical settings, leading to the avoidance of necessary medical care
Who can be held responsible for anesthesia errors?
Anesthesiology error lawsuits are complicated and can involve multiple responsible parties including:
- Other medical staff
- Pharmaceutical companies
- Medical equipment manufacturers
What can I do if I am the victim of anesthesia error?
Talk to a dedicated medical malpractice attorney who has experience specifically with anesthesia errors. Anesthesia error cases are complicated and require special medical knowledge.
I have lost a loved one to anesthesia error. Do I still have a case?
If you have lost a loved one to medical malpractice you may still be entitled to compensation under wrongful death.
New Jersey medical malpractice lawyer Michael L. Weiss, Esq. has tried several anesthesia accident lawsuits to a jury and has successfully recovered millions of dollars on behalf of medical malpractice victims and their families. If you or a loved one has been harmed by an anesthesia accident, please contact Weiss & Paarz, P.C., today.